As winter approaches and the temperatures start to drop, birds fly south, large animals hole up to hibernate and smaller animals look for warm cozy places to escape the weather. Occasionally homeowners find themselves playing host to small uninvited guests who have chosen to ride out the winter in the attic or walls of their home. Rodent damage to electrical wiring becomes a real problem that can affect any home, in any neighborhood. Rats, mice and squirrels find the insulation material on electrical wiring very tasty and will strip wiring right down to the bare conductor, leaving exposed energized wiring inside attics and walls, thereby greatly increasing the risk of a house fire. This fall, take the time to look for and seal up potential access holes round the home. If you suspect you have an intruder, evict them quickly and permanently, then check for damage to electrical wiring. Depending on the extent of the damage, wiring repair or replacement should be done by an electrician as soon as possible.