Residential and commercial electrical services when you need them and at the right price.
July 17, 2019
A recent incident in BC had one woman receive a jolt from an electrical current after lightning hit a power pole near her home during a thunderstorm. At the time, she was holding her cell phone which was plugged into a charger.
Electrical currents from a lightning strike will travel through overhead cables, wires and cords using the path of least resistance until it reaches the ground. In this case, the BC woman created part of that path for the electrical current to reach ground.
According to Environment Canada, each year lightning kills approximately 10 Canadians and injures approximately 100 to 150 others. For information on the different ways lightning injuries occur, click here.
What To Do During A Thunderstorm
Unplug your cell phone or devices when using them during a thunderstorm
Stay away from electrical appliances or anything that will conduct electricity during a thunderstorm.
If possible, turn off and unplug appliances and electronics.
Avoid using a telephone connected to a land line. Use only battery operated or cordless devices.
Stay away from doors and windows.
Avoid washing your hands, showering or washing dishes. Lightning can travel through metal plumbing lines.
A lightning strike up to two kilometers away can cause irreparable damage to your home’s sensitive electronic equipment. Many people believe that their point-of-use surge strips or power bars will provide all the necessary protection. The surge bars should only be used as a secondary line of defense, as many have a one-time use only. After the first strike is absorbed by the surge strip, it becomes nothing more than an extension cord. The best way to protect your home from all types of power surges is a full panel surge protector installed directly on the main electrical panel. A high quality surge protector may sacrifice itself during a thunderstorm, but should protect all your sensitive electronic equipment. For more information on power surges and surge protection, click here.
For your safety and peace of mind, our certified electricians would be happy to install a full panel surge protector in your home.
Phantom power is when appliances and electronics continue to draw power even when they are turned off, but still plugged into a power outlet. According to BC Hydro, this adds up to about 10% of an average BC household’s annual electricity. This does not include appliances that need constant power such as the fridge, freezer,... READ MORE
Every year, Canadians die or become ill because of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless toxic gas produced by fuel-burning appliances. If your home has one or more fuel burning appliances, or an attached garage, you should definitely have carbon monoxide detectors installed on every level of the building. Some... READ MORE