Every year, Canadians die or become ill because of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless toxic gas produced by fuel-burning appliances. If your home has one or more fuel burning appliances, or an attached garage, you should definitely have carbon monoxide detectors installed on every level of the building.
Some of the Most Common Sources of CO Are:
- Vehicles idling in an enclosed space, such as a garage. The CO will build up and possibly leak into the building. Even sitting in an idling car in an open garage can be dangerous.
- Gas water heaters, ovens & dryers. If fuel-burning appliances are not installed properly, regularly maintained or used correctly, CO can build up inside the building.
- Fuel-burning heating systems such as gas or propane furnaces & wood, coal or gas fireplaces can emit CO gas. For safe use of these heating sources, proper maintenance and venting is very important.
- Portable barbecues & back-up generators, which are intended for outdoor use only.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
- Chest tightness or shortness of breath
Because of their similarity, poisoning symptoms are often misdiagnosed as the flu.
How to Protect Yourself:
- Never use fuel burning heaters in an enclosed area because of the risk of CO
- Don’t let your car idle in the garage, even when the garage door is open
- Inspect fuel burning appliances annually
- Never use portable gas, propane or charcoal grills indoors
- Never use a gas-powered generator in an enclosed space
- Don’t use a gas oven to heat your home because CO can build up inside
To warn of increased levels of this deadly poisonous gas, carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on every floor. Detectors can be purchased as a single unit or in combination with ionization smoke alarm units. For more information on CO/smoke detector safety, click here
Contact Blue Crest Electric and one of our electricians would be happy to install a hard-wired, battery backup CO detector in your home.