Residential and commercial electrical services when you need them and at the right price.
Protecting Pets from Electrical Shock
December 1, 2022
Preventing electrical shocks from happening to a beloved pet is not something usually thought of until an unfortunate tragedy occurs. Small pets such as rabbits, guinea pigs, and hamsters are animals that constantly need to chew on something, as their teeth and nails never stop growing. If these animals do not have a specified object, then they will go looking for something to chew on. The last thing you want to have happen to your beloved pet is for them them chew on a live wire or an active cord.
Ways to Prevent Pets from Chewing on Electrical Cords
When it comes to cats and dogs you can many times train and distract them from the allure of electrical cords with their own designated toys.
For smaller animals consider putting them in a pen or setting up a gate to keep them away from electrical cords.
Do not run cords long distances across a room or in open areas for pets to chew on.
Plastic cord protectors can be a useful tool to protect electrical wires from being frayed by chewing.
Place electrical wires out of reach.
Frayed cords and bare wires are dangerous as they can potentially start a house fire. While most wires are out of reach and hidden behind the walls of your home, it is important to remember to keep the cover on outlets to prevent pets from electrocution . If you are doing any renovations to your home, consider keeping your beloved pets in a separate area of the home for their safety. It only takes one accident.
What to do if your pet is electrocuted
If you suspect that your pet has been electrocuted then immediately turn off the power at the panel that is going to that particular outlet. A properly mapped panel is critical in the event of an emergency.
Move your pet away from the damaged wire. Do not touch the damaged wired or your pet until the circuit is not longer active with electricity.
Take your pet to the vet immediately.
We consider our pets family. The last thing you want to happen is for them to chew on a live wire or active cord. Keep your pets safe by taking preventive action to keep active wires away from them.
Our electricians were called by this homeowner to diagnose a circuit for the upstairs bedroom lights that were not functioning correctly. In most homes there are often multiple light switches and outlets on a single circuit, this is typically where we find the issue. After a multitude of circuit traces, continuity tests, voltage tests, and... READ MORE
As winter approaches it is now a great time to prepare for some winter activities. A personal home sauna is something that you may want installed prior to the cold weather arriving, they are a great way to relax after a long day of work. The above photos are examples of a personal home sauna... READ MORE