Residential and commercial electrical services when you need them and at the right price.
GFCI Protection When In The Water
May 31, 2019
With summer fast approaching, many homeowners are already spending time out on the water. Keep in mind that GFCI protection when in the water is very important. Whether swimming in a lake, near a dock or boat, in a pool or just relaxing in a hot tub, GFCI protection when in the water can save lives. Electrical wiring around swimming pools, hot tubs, boats and docks should be inspected annually for safety.
Everyone knows that electricity and water is a dangerous combination. The risk of personal injury or electrocution is a real possibility when electricity escapes from an unprotected circuit. The electrical term for this is a ‘fault’. Some examples of a fault are when a wire is damaged during renovations or wires are chewed by rodents. Using damaged appliances or electrical cords can also cause a fault. The electrical current now has a means by which to leave the circuit and it will immediately seek the easiest and most direct route to the earth. If this route happens to be through a person in contact with any part of the circuit, the potential for serious personal injury is obvious. Missing or damaged GFCI devices, corrosion and deteriorated bonding and grounding connections can expose swimmers to shock and electrocution hazards. For more information on GFCI Protection click Here
Important Reason For GFCI Protection When In The Water
Most people don’t think about the possibility of electric shock drowning. This can easily happen when electrical currents enter the water and electrify it. If a swimmer enters the water, the electricity can paralyze their muscles, causing possible drowning. An electrical current passing through water is completely invisible. Depending on the level of the electrical current, the swimmer may sense tingling or lose control of all muscles. Correctly installed Ground Fault Protection will sense a fault and cut off the power to prevent injury.
Never have a pool located under or near overhead electrical wiring.
Never hang string lights over a pool even if they are plugged into a GFCI receptacle.
Electrical safety should always be a priority when in or around water. Contact Blue Crest Electric for any concerns about GFCI protection.
Every year, Canadians die or become ill because of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless toxic gas produced by fuel-burning appliances. If your home has one or more fuel burning appliances, or an attached garage, you should definitely have carbon monoxide detectors installed on every level of the building. Some... READ MORE
Now that fall has arrived and the weather is getting colder, homeowners have turned off circulating fans and AC units and may be looking for supplementary electric heating options. When your home’s primary heating source is not adequate, or you are looking for additional heat in a specific area, supplementary electric heat may be the... READ MORE