Dangerous Wiring Hidden Behind Walls

February 2, 2016

Open Wiring inside WallDangerous wiring, hidden behind the walls, is a common find for a service electrician and can result in anything from a circuit power failure to a residential house fire. This problem is a ticking time bomb as the danger can sometimes lay hidden for years before a failure occurs.

A fire requires three things to burn: an ignition source or spark, a fuel source and oxygen.

This was clearly emphasized at a local Fire Department’s training session that our crews attended many years ago. So our electricians explain this to homeowners whenever they come across open splices buried inside walls like this one found today. Everything about this unpleasant find is WRONG and DANGEROUS!

When wiring is properly terminated inside a correctly rated and installed electrical box, it is isolated from nearby combustible materials (wooden studs, beams, etc.) and although an electrical box is not airtight, the amount of oxygen inside the enclosure is quickly depleted should any arcing occur. The spark is also contained and can not reach a fuel source, so it is quickly starved of both fuel and oxygen, and the potential fire dies out.

We’d like to say that this type of find is unusual, but it’s not. Our electricians come across this problem much too often, and in homes of almost any age. If you suspect there may be unauthorized, amateur wiring somewhere in your home, please call us and we can investigate and correct the issue before it becomes a serious problem. We can not emphasize enough the importance of hiring a licensed electrician to complete all regulated electrical work.

Related Posts

Counterfeit Electrical Products

April 19, 2018

Are you wondering if your online purchase is a counterfeit electrical product? As a residential electrical service company, Blue Crest Electric electricians are frequently asked to install customer supplied lighting fixtures in BC’s Lower Mainland homes and businesses. Our electricians are always happy to assist with this task, except when the fixture is lacking the required CSA,... READ MORE

A Rusty Panel Needs Attention

February 20, 2018

This rusty panel certainly needs professional attention. It has been subjected to humidity for so long that a slug has moved in and taken up residence. To function safety, an electrical panel needs to be kept clean and dry, so this slug needs to be evicted today. Rust and corrosion inside the panel are very damaging and... READ MORE