Re-certification for Mobile or Manufactured Homes
Just like all homes built in Canada, a manufactured home must meet very specific safety standards before it can be sold to the public. An electrical design plan, specific to each manufacturer, series and model, must be registered and approved before production can begin. The manufacturer may not deviate from this plan as the CSA approval is granted for this unaltered design only
Upon completion, a Canadian Standards Association (CSA) certification label is attached to the manufactured home by the manufacturer before it leaves the factory. The label lists a unique CSA number specific to the home, which means the unit has been built according to the registered and accepted plan, has passed inspections, and meets all safety requirements as of the date of completion.
This certification remains valid indefinitely provided the electrical system is never altered in any way OR if all subsequent electrical alterations are completed under a valid electrical permit by a certified licensed electrician. Technical Safety BC IB-EL-2015-02
Owners of manufactured and mobile homes are advised to retain proof of all permits for electrical alterations as these will be required by the realtor or interested buyers when the home is listed for sale.
HELP, I can’t find my CSA number.
Depending on each manufacturer, the CSA certificate label is usually located on the exterior of the mobile home near the front door, or near the electrical panel.
Occasionally this important information is covered up or removed and unknowingly discarded during home renovations.
If a CSA label is not found on the unit itself, a replacement label cannot be issued. Please note that the CSA number recorded on documentation only is not sufficient. Re-certification of the home is now required. Technical Safety BC requires a qualified licensed electrician to inspect the electrical system in the home to ensure it meets current safety standards, update safety measures if necessary, and initiate an electrical approval label. This label is called a Silver Label and can be used in lieu of a CSA number to allow the mobile or manufactured home to be sold.
I want to sell my Mobile Home.
The sale of a mobile home is contingent on:
- the presence of the original CSA certification label on the unit itself AND the unaltered electrical system, or proof of all electrical permits to support past electrical alterations.
- the presence of a Silver Label signifying the home has been inspected and all unregistered electrical alterations have been checked for safety. Also needed is proof that all subsequent electrical changes (completed after the Silver Label was obtained) have been completed under an electrical permit.
What do I need to do to apply for Silver Label re-certification?
Call Blue Crest Electric at any of the telephone numbers below.
We will guide you through the process of attaining the Silver Label recertification for your home.
Our skill and specialized knowledge of the electrical systems in mobile and manufactured homes, and our past experience of recertification of these systems makes us experts in this process.
The age, condition or location of your mobile or manufactured home is irrelevant as the required safety standard applies to every unit in BC, whether sold privately or with the assistance of a real estate agent. Ref:BC Safety Authority Directive D-E3 080606-1
As required under Electrical Safety Regulation ESR 21(d), Blue Crest Electric will:
- Complete the required electrical inspection and megger testing to assess the condition of the electrical system as required by Technical Safety BC, and submit the required report on your behalf. On occasion we have even found the original CSA certification label during this inspection.
- Provide the required electrical permit to request Silver Label re-certification.
- Repair or install electrical wiring or devices, if required, and submit the Contractor Authorization and test report to inform Technical Safety BC that the home meets current electrical standards and qualifies for Silver Label re-certification.
All work is quoted in advance and completed to Code by qualified professional Red Seal electricians and apprentices.
Your Blue Crest Electric electrician will be able to answer all your questions regarding your electrical needs and the re-certification of your mobile or manufactured home.